Candlelighters Continuing Education Scholarship Program.
In 1996, Candlelighters For Children With Cancer established the Candlelighters Continuing Education Scholarship Program. We recognize that families can amass overwhelming debt in medical bills after years of treatment, follow up appointments, and on-going medical issues caused by treatment. The journey doesn’t stop for families, and Candlelighters support doesn’t stop either. Financial assistance is awarded to high school seniors or current college students to support their pursuit of a higher education who have previously been or are currently diagnosed with cancer.
2019 - 2020 Candlelighters Continuing Education Scholarship Applications Are Open!
Click Here for Scholarship Application and Full Instructions
Applications must be received at the address below no later than Monday, April 1, 2019
Mail completed application to:
Candlelighters Scholarship Program
6600 SW 92nd Ave Suite 160
Portland, OR 97223
Email completed application to:
- Your most recent high school or college transcript (non-official transcripts accepted)
- Completed scholarship application
- Letter of recommendation and essay question
- Scholarship recipients will be notified no later than June 3, 2019
- Funds will be paid directly to the applicant’s approved school of choice prior to the start of fall classes.
AMOUNT AWARDED: Three $2,500 scholarships will be awarded
- Applicant must be pursuing an undergraduate, technical or vocational education.
- The applicant must be a graduating high school senior or an enrolled post-secondary student at the time of application.
- If a high school senior, the applicant must have, at least, a cumulative 3.0 G.P.A. However, if the applicant has an I.E.P., or accommodations in place, then the required G.P.A. is 2.5.
- If the applicant is currently attending a post-secondary school, the required G.P.A is 2.0.
- The applicant must have, or have had, cancer prior to age 21.
- The applicant must be a member of Candlelighters For Children With Cancer, and a resident of Oregon or Southwest Washington.
- Applicants who are declined may re-apply in subsequent years, as long as they are still attending school and meet applicant criteria.
- If a student is awarded the scholarship, but does not attend school, the scholarship award will be reviewed, which may result in its forfeiture. In that case, the scholarship would be awarded to a runner-up applicant.
- This scholarship process and the award, itself, are reviewed annually and are subject to availability of funds from Candlelighters For Children With Cancer.
Congratulations to our 2018 Scholarship Award Winners!